We are pleased to offer baptism to babies, children, young people and adults. It is a real privilege to be involved in people’s lives in this way, at a very important time for them. In common with other Anglican churches, we understand baptism (or christening- an alternative name) as the beginning of a person’s life within the church. God knows us and loves us from when we first come into being; baptism is our formal entry into the church – and it is a cause for celebration and joy!
The Baptism Process
1) To begin the process please email firstname.lastname@example.org including your postcode so that we can determine if you live within Parish boundaries. If you don't, we may still be able to hold your Baptism at Christ Church provided you meet other criteria such as a family connection or other involvement. Each enquiry is assessed individually and, if Baptism at Christ Church is offered, the Vicar of the candidate’s ‘home’ parish will need to be informed.
2) We invite you to come to a Sunday service to meet the clergy and a member of the Baptism team.
3) We will find you a suitable date for your Baptism. These are held at Christ Church on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month.
4) Approximately one month before your Baptism, you will be invited to a Baptism Preparation where you will meet with the clergy and other parents who have enquired. This is an evening to consider the meaning of Baptism, confirm your individual arrangements and answer any questions you may have. Our baptism team members are on hand to assist you throughout the process. These are held on the third Monday of the month at 8pm.
5) Your Baptism will take place!
6) After your baptism, you will be invited to our next Source service, which is at 4pm on the second Sunday of the month and is specifically aimed at young children and their families. Here you will be welcomed into the Christchurch family and given your certificate.
Your child’s Baptism can be an excellent opportunity for the whole family to become involved with and support your child. We hope that you will also be encouraged in your faith and that you will wish to participate in our services at Christ Church. We leave it to you, of course, to decide your own level of involvement but we pray that you will experience baptism as an important event on an exciting and longer journey of faith with God, and with us at Christ Church.
Arrangements for older children (about 12 years onwards) and adults will be forwarded to the clergy and are often combined with a Confirmation Course.
We look forward to meeting you!
If you have an enquiry about baptism, then please email email@example.com and one of our team will reply.